- Reading Teacher – Summer 2022
- Teaching Assistant
- Upper School Social Studies Teacher (Starts Aug 2022)
STATEMENT OF DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: Chesapeake Bay Academy creates and fosters a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive and accepting environment for all those who engage in and with our community. We are committed to aligning our policies, programs, processes, and people with our core values of education and inclusion, integrity and respect. We actively stand against discrimination based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, country of origin, and physical or cognitive differences. It is our intent that every individual who engages with CBA feels accepted, represented, and empowered to share their beliefs and opinions.
Reading Teacher – Summer 2022
Chesapeake Bay Academy, an independent school for students (K-12) with learning differences in Virginia Beach, VA, is seeking a reading teacher to teach a six-week intensive reading summer program from June 21 – July 29, 2022, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and noon. The ideal candidate will be a creative, engaging, and innovative educator that has a strong passion for teaching reading and a deep interest in supporting differently-abled learners. Specialized training in Wilson, Orton-Gillingham, Lindamood-Bell, or NILD preferred.
This position reports to: Director of Summer Enrichment
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as team leader for intensive reading program for students in grades 1-8; includes development/oversight of curriculum
- Serve as teacher for a maximum of six students (grades 6-8)
- Provide leadership/support to 2 additional teachers (grades 1-2 & 3-5)
- Assess students to determine specific areas of need
- Submit progress reports to parents at 3 weeks
- Reassess students at end of program and submit final reports to parents
- Create lessons tailored to meet individual student needs
- Select appropriate books, media, and instructional resources
- Select and implement apps and other software to support instruction
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and clearly communicate objectives to students
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining an environment conducive to learning for all students
1. MA from a state-approved reading specialist preparation program.
2. Hold VA teacher certification with endorsement in reading.
3. Minimum of three years of successful teaching experience.
Job Overview – Para-Educators work collaboratively with grade-level teachers in all day-to-day aspects of classroom management: teaching, supervision, assisting students, grading papers, organizing classroom activities, etc. Additional involvement includes curricular planning, consulting with other faculty, and contributing to student evaluation, and serving as a substitute teacher as needed. A bachelor’s degree is required. Para-educator’s report to division leaders. Applicants must have a record of reliability in their former positions. Hours are 7:30 am – 3:30 pm.
Job Type: Full-time, benefits are available
- Successful completion of higher education coursework related to education, child development, and/or related field.
- Experience implementing educational programming and working with students as a teacher, educational aide, or after-school care provider for grades 1-12.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Experience working with students with learning differences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with program personnel to implement engaging, developmentally appropriate educational enrichment curriculum and programming which expands and supports student learning experiences.
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships through effective and timely communication with other program personnel and school staff members.
- Effectively support the needs of students with learning differences.
- Serve as a substitute teacher, follow lesson plans, manage classroom behavior, model flexibility and problem-solving skills.
- Implement program procedures effectively to ensure the safety of all participants.
- Promote a safe and healthy environment based on safety standards set within the program.
- Appropriately redirect negative student behaviors, support students’ emotional regulation.
- Assist at morning and afternoon car line.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Upper School Social Studies Teacher
Subjects taught: Asian History, United States Government, Economics, Psychology and /or Anthropology
Start Date: August 2022
Job Overview - Teacher - The role of a classroom teacher at Chesapeake Bay Academy is to plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages each student to develop and fulfill their academic, as well as social and emotional, potential. Faculty is responsible for, delivering the curriculum in a differentiated and multi-sensory fashion, and enforcing the guidelines in the Student and Family Handbook. A bachelor’s degree in the appropriate content area, and current teacher licensure is required.
Teachers report directly to their Division Leader(s) who are responsible for their direct supervision and evaluation.
- To demonstrate mastery of the relevant academic content specific to their area of professional licensure.
- To plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning.
- To communicate regularly and effectively with all community members including fellow administrators, students, parents and non-CBA professionals.
- To develop appropriate schemes of work and differentiated lesson plans.
- To establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- To be well-prepared for classroom activities.
- To provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities.
- To identify and select different instructional resources and methods to meet students' varying needs.
- To instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment.
- To use relevant technology to support instruction and continue to explore the uses of technology through on-going professional learning.
- To observe and evaluate student's performance and development.
- To assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments.
- To provide constructive feedback on student work-products.
- To maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development.
- To update all necessary records accurately and completely.
- To complete all required documentation.
- To manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures
- To maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary philosophy of CBA
- To support students with through their academic challenges and provide appropriate encouragement.
- To participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, sporting activities, clubs and student organizations, as agreed to.
- To actively participate in regularly scheduled division and all-school meetings.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume electronically to: Jared Setnar, Upper School Division Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the CBA family!
Our faculty and staff come to us from diverse life experiences and have a wide range of academic and professional credentials. However, they all have one thing in common - a passionate commitment to empowering students by nurturing their independence, self-esteem and personal pride. We offer an opportunity for educators and staff to work in a unique learning environment, sharing their gifts and talents with exceptional students who work hard to succeed and families committed to supporting that goal. Our teachers match instruction to individual learning styles, and share a personal commitment to support each student socially and emotionally. At Chesapeake Bay Academy our educators aren’t just teachers, but also advocates, mentors, and most importantly, champions for their students.
For administrative and support staff, CBA is a collaborative, welcoming environment where students, parents, and staff work together to achieve success. Our staff play a key role in fulfilling CBA’s mission.
CBA is proud to be a Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified organization. The V3 community is represented by a wide range of industries across the Commonwealth, from large and small businesses alike. These companies have demonstrated to the Commonwealth that they Value Veterans, and have made a public commitment to hire Veterans into their workforce.
Chesapeake Bay Academy will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age (as defined by applicable law), religion, gender, race, color, national origin, sexual preference, disability, equal pay, genetic information, or any other protected classification.