CBA is currently seeking applicants for the following position(s):
MAKE CBA Entrepreneurship Program & Makerspace Director
(Director of Creativity and Innovation)
Chesapeake Bay Academy is seeking qualified applicants for the Director of Creativity and Innovation role in our MAKECBA program. This position is primarily a teaching position, focused on immersing students in Design Thinking and an appreciation for creating and building. This position reflects the innovative problem solving and practical applications that are at the heart of hands-on learning. We are looking for an extraordinary teacher of children and adults alike, with a passion for discovery through tools, engineering principals, technology and making. S/he will also be an innovative educator with the vision and momentum to create, and continually refine, a curricular scope and sequence that advances CBA mission, philosophy and enduring commitment to serving students with a variety of learning differences.
Drawing upon Stanford’s Design Thinking Process (Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype, Test), the Makerspace Coordinator will work with students and faculty across our second through twelfth-grade program to help them define problems, develop prototypes, and build things by hand. Beginning with the premise that empathy is at the center of all meaningful design, the instructor will work with students to develop their understanding of a variety of tools and technologies, including woodworking hand and power tools, 3D modeling and printing, circuits and electronics, robotics, sewing and textiles. The ideal candidate will have the drive and initiative to expand upon this learning and provide a business and industry perspective, giving the students their first experiences in taking an idea and what it takes to grow into a business.
- Promote, oversee, and support all program elements of the MAKECBA Program and associated work spaces
- With guidance from the division directors, develop and deliver learning opportunities that invite grade-level and specialty classes to the MAKECBA Lab
- Design and deliver faculty trainings, and serve as a faculty coach and mentor in the areas of design, fabrication and innovation.
- Create learning experiences for CBA students in the fields of design thinking, fabrication, engineering, robotics, coding, and computational thinking
- Maintain ultimate responsibility for all operations of the MAKECBA Lab, including equipment maintenance, supply ordering, budgets, capital purchases, safety procedures, room scheduling, and volunteer coordination
- Maintain an active presence in the local, regional, and national communities of design, making, engineering, and fabrication
- Develop partnerships with external organizations to both support the mission of the MAKECBA program and provide additional learning opportunities for students, both at CBA and throughout the area.
- Serve in a public-facing capacity to represent the MAKECBA Lab to external visitors
- Other duties as assigned
- Mobility to roam a two story building and hand dexterity to utilize various shop tools
- Occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs.
Qualifications and Attributes
- Multiple years of experience as an educator in areas such as design thinking, fabrication, engineering, robotics, coding, or computational thinking
- Experience and comfort working with a wide variety of tools and technologies; including but not limited to woodworking tools, robotics, 3D modeling and 3D printers
- Experience leading workshops, trainings, and projects for faculty
- Excellent organizational and planning skills related to schedules, resource allocation, and long-range planning
- Must be able to travel in and out of town from time to time for training and education
- Must possess a valid and current Virginia’s driver’s license to utilize Chesapeake Bay Academy vehicles
- A commitment to education
- Ability to carry out hands-on, experiential learning activities that advance the targeted learning outcomes
- Affinity and enthusiasm for working with children
- Capacity to inspire children
- Excellent communication skills
- Sound judgment and emotional maturity
Please submit cover letter and resume to Jared Setnar, Director of Upper School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the CBA family!
Our faculty and staff come to us from diverse life experiences and have a wide range of academic and professional credentials. However, they all have one thing in common - a passionate commitment to empowering students by nurturing their independence, self-esteem and personal pride. We offer an opportunity for educators and staff to work in a unique learning environment, sharing their gifts and talents with exceptional students who work hard to succeed and families committed to supporting that goal. Our teachers match instruction to individual learning styles, and share a personal commitment to support each student socially and emotionally. At Chesapeake Bay Academy our educators aren’t just teachers, but also advocates, mentors, and most importantly, champions for their students.
For administrative and support staff, CBA is a collaborative, welcoming environment where students, parents, and staff work together to achieve success. Our staff play a key role in fulfilling CBA’s mission.
Chesapeake Bay Academy will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age (as defined by applicable law), religion, gender, race, color, national origin, sexual preference, disability, equal pay, genetic information, or any other protected classification.