Skip to main content

Chesapeake Bay Academy

Search form

You are here

Register Today! Virtual ADHD Symposium featuring Dr. Ross Greene: June 2

Wednesday, June 2, 2021
Keynote Speaker: Ross W. Greene, Ph.D.

Changing the Lens of Support for Our Children
Learn how to help our most vulnerable kids address their social and emotional needs in the classroom, at home, and in the virtual world.

Live Virtual Event
Wednesday, June 2nd
6:30 - 7:30 pm
Keynote Speaker: Ross W. Greene, Ph.D.

Event will be hosted on Zoom.

Register Now

 

 

Educators - Parents - Professionals
Virtual event is free and open to the public courtesy of CBA and CHKD. Zoom link to attend will be sent to those who register.

Asynchronous sessions with industry experts also available - more info to come!


Ross W. Greene, Ph.D., is the New York Times bestselling author of the influential books The Explosive Child, Lost at School, Lost and Found, and Raising Human BeingsDr. Greene was on the faculty at Harvard Medical School for over 20 years, and is now founding director of the non-profit Lives in the Balance, which provides a vast array of free, web-based resources. He has appeared in a wide range of media, including The Oprah Show, Good Morning America, The Morning Show, National Public Radio, Mother Jones magazine, The Atlantic, The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, and the Boston Globe. Dr. Greene lectures and consults widely throughout the world and lives in Portland, Maine.


Take off your “Kids do Well if They Wanna” lenses and put on your “Kids do Well if They Can” lenses: If the kid could do well, he or she would do well…so you'll want to familiarize yourself with what the research tells us is really getting in the way: lagging skills and unsolved problems. We help kids a whole lot better when we focus on solving those problems and teaching those skills than when we focus primarily on modifying the behaviors that those problems and lagging skills are causing.

EDUCATORS- Don't be satisfied with the fact that 90 percent of the students in your school are doing well...it's the other 10 percent -- usually those with social, emotional, and behavioral challenges -- who need your help the most. Partner with parents. Remember that most conflict between parents and educators occurs because the parties never achieved common ground on a child’s lagging skills and unsolved problems and instead jumped straight to competing solutions. You have information about the student that can help the folks at home...and the home folks have information about the student that may benefit you at school.

PARENTS - Don’t accept blame for your child’s behavioral challenges. Blaming doesn't help people collaborate with each other...everyone has an important role to play in helping your child. Partner with the caregivers trying to help your child at school, and remember that most conflict between parents and educators occurs because the parties never achieved common ground on a child’s lagging skills and unsolved problems and instead jumped straight to competing solutions. You have information about your child that can help the folks at school…the folks at school have information about your child that may benefit you.

PROFESSIONALS- Make your voice heard...in your community, in the media, with the families and schools you work with. You know what the research tells us about behaviorally challenging kids. You know that unilateral interventions cause conflict and that collaboration brings people together.